Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power issue no codes

08 lmm completely stock with original parts. No tuners and a dpf system. Please no chokes about it being stock and no tuners and still having a dpf. It out pulled most fords and doges up jelico mountains pulling 36' toyhauler. So I'm please with my stock truck. Went from 13 mpg hauling and 22 mpg empty to 17mpg empty and 7-9 mpg hauling toyhauler. Sometimes you here turbo other times when ya kick it down for interstate it sounds like a quadrajet opening up. It was knocking or rattleing (sounds like lose valvetrain on gas engine) 1800-2000rpm and while dpf cycled then when done noise was gone. Dpf cycles about every 350 miles or tank and half. Dealer found problem with turbo and possible ecm. When i took it back for recheck no issues found or stored codes either time. When real hot pulling then stop and idle cant feel exhaust or hear turbo. When cold feel exhaust and hear turbo. Then the other day after it got good and warmed drove to moms farm hard let it idle and first time feel alittle exhaust flow. Totally confused with problems and no codes. Oh also dealer checked injector ratiios, fuel pressure, dpf soot level. All real good for 113k on truck. Is this a vane problem, vane sensor, or the ring cracked in turbo I've been reading about in forums. Yes i have read alot first diesel. Thanks for any input. Also is the vane sensor for $500 from dealer same as the $99 from diesel care?

Originally posted by Duramax7983
    08 lmm completely stock with original parts. No tuners and a dpf system. Please no chokes about it being stock and no tuners and still having a dpf. It out pulled most fords and doges up jelico mountains pulling 36' toyhauler. So I'm please with my stock truck. Went from 13 mpg hauling and 22 mpg empty to 17mpg empty and 7-9 mpg hauling toyhauler. Sometimes you here turbo other times when ya kick it down for interstate it sounds like a quadrajet opening up. It was knocking or rattleing (sounds like lose valvetrain on gas engine) 1800-2000rpm and while dpf cycled then when done noise was gone. Dpf cycles about every 350 miles or tank and half. Dealer found problem with turbo and possible ecm. When i took it back for recheck no issues found or stored codes either time. When real hot pulling then stop and idle cant feel exhaust or hear turbo. When cold feel exhaust and hear turbo. Then the other day after it got good and warmed drove to moms farm hard let it idle and first time feel alittle exhaust flow. Totally confused with problems and no codes. Oh also dealer checked injector ratiios, fuel pressure, dpf soot level. All real good for 113k on truck. Is this a vane problem, vane sensor, or the ring cracked in turbo I've been reading about in forums. Yes i have read alot first diesel. Thanks for any input. Also is the vane sensor for $500 from dealer same as the $99 from diesel care?
    Hi Duramax7983, I was reading your post and I have a question that may help with the diagnosis. When you say you can't feel the exaust, do you mean putting your hand near the tail pipe? If your turbo was failing or sticking I would expect to see a check engine light and or stored trouble codes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2006 LBZ Daily Driver, Tractor, School Bus, Hot Rod Diesel , Crew Cab, Lifted, Hunting Rig , Cowboy Cadillac

Comment

• Duramax7983
      Duramax7983 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes at the tailpipe not much flow when hot plenty when cold.

It's possible that there is a restriction in the exaust, if the cat came apart it would not run a regen, but it's possible the DPF came apart and is plugging the muffler.

2006 LBZ Daily Driver, Tractor, School Bus, Hot Rod Diesel , Crew Cab, Lifted, Hunting Rig , Cowboy Cadillac

Comment

Ok finally i get to answer. Thank you for the suggestions. No o e on duramax diesel would comment but be rude about my dpf on it. Question if parts broke off and caused a restriction(more backpressure) why are there no codes? Youd think there would be a code. Is it normal to hear a "pink" under truck where CAN and DPF filter is after ya shut the truck when put in park..also with variable vane turbo do ya have to cool down pulling or normal driving for exhaust temps to come down or not. Heard both way. Wish they had a place like this in Southern Indiana. I'd take my truck there instead of dealers. Agsin thanks for the help.

Comment

Hi Duramax7983. Do you have any gauges on the truck so you can monitor boost, egt, or vane position?
        An Edge Insight would be a great unit to help diagnosis here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is picture of my stock Duramax. Not sure where it will show up. Hope where the person asking, can see it.
          Took me 5 times to figure this system out. Guess one too many head impacts. Lol

Comment

Images aren’t appearing. How are you trying to upload them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mike D had something from ultra gage to monitor but blue tooth sucked. Also never monitored dpf. Had turbo boost(good 22lbs then level off to 2 to3lbs) fuel pressure(good) injectors(good) exhaust temp was Cat before and after(1600 f with dpf) cant remember normal range. Engine temp was 198 pulling but dash gage said 245.

Comment

Mike D had something from ultra gage to monitor but blue tooth sucked. Also never monitored dpf. Had turbo boost(good 22lbs then level off to 2 to3lbs) fuel pressure(good) injectors(good) exhaust temp was Cat before and after(1600 f with dpf) cant remember normal range. Engine temp was 198 pulling but dash gage said 245. Insight yes that would be nice and on list after paying hospital bills off. Bills first fun stuff later. But i know kit would give you diesel guys what ya know to tell me whats happening. Do not want or need a tuner dont like black smoke. Hate that when on the harley, tbink its rude a wasting fuel. Try to get more info for ya and DMAXDR.

Comment

Mike D had something from ultra gage to monitor but blue tooth sucked. Also never monitored dpf. Had turbo boost(good 22lbs then level off to 2 to3lbs) fuel pressure(good) injectors(good) exhaust temp was Cat before and after(1600 f with dpf) cant remember normal range. Engine temp was 198 pulling but dash gage said 245. Insight yes that would be nice and on list after paying hospital bills off. Bills first fun stuff later. But i know kit would give you diesel guys what ya know to tell me whats happening. Do not want or need a tuner dont like black smoke. Hate that when on the harley, tbink its rude a wasting fuel. Try to get more info for ya and DMAXDR.
                  EGT 1600 f during regen or normal driving. So from the info I'm piecing together, the engine rattle during regen, not feeling exaust flow, rattle noise from cat/ dpf area, and hot engine coolant and exhaust temp, I would suspect a failed dpf. I have seen them melt down and clog an exhaust system. Be very careful, fuel knock and high egts will ruin a engine quick.

Last edited by DmaxStoreJimmy; 04-12-2018, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Please login or register to post.

Working...
                  X