Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all

So I just retired my 2000 Sierra 1500 SLE with 420,000km(260miles +/-) which was sad because we had done so much together.

Since I am getting into carrying heavier and more things I decided to see what was available in a 2500/f250 range. My 2000 1500 was snapped in half about 4 years ago with two buckets of stone dust which I did twice, we welded her back together with some 1/4" plate and that did the trick + new brake lines

So after days of searching for a truck in Toronto, which is not a very truck friendly city, I came across a 2008 GMC 2500 diesel for a reasonable price and here I am.
    I did some research and, armed with some basic knowledge, checked out the truck as best I could as I don't have a regular mechanic now. My normal guy retired two months ago.

So I decided to pick this truck up as the motor seems good and it's in good shape generally, although like any older truck it has some issues. The badge was gone and I am guessing at the SLE part. It's got the full power package with the sunroof but no leather seats. It was in an accident where the box had to be replaced, and I have to make the assumption that this is what killed whatever lift pump was on it, as all that is left is wires.

It's a 2008 Sierra 2500HD SLE? 6.6 Diesel
    It's got 160,000km(99,000 miles)
    LMM, with a one piece driveshaft.
    Haven't seen the brands yet but the stock shocks on the back have been replaced with a yellow set, and the air intake is not stock either which was great since you can actually change the headlight on that side without taking it all apart.

Pictures to follow

What I am basically saying is that I have no idea what to look for as far as upgrades or whatever goes. It was someone else who mentioned that the air intake wasn't stock. This will be a learning adventure for me.

Since the truck was technically marked salvage I checked into it and the damage claim was from the rear drivers side. As far as I can see the frame rails were good. No bends and original rust is where it should be. Just the box was replaced and it passed a structural inspection. The front wasn't touched at all and outside of a few spots of rust (other than the frame) it's pretty clean.

I am mostly using this for work and so I plan on getting the bed sprayed with Line-X once I have all the parts/setup I want. I need lots of spots for straps as I am often overloaded with materials and furniture we get at auctions so I am going to get some rails for the sides, as well as a tool box for my construction tools. That being said I plan on having this truck for a while and there is no reason why it shouldn't look good right?

I do want to put on a FASS once the dust has settled but that will be for another month or two. She has more immediate issues that need fixing.

Since I go into buildings parking garages here in the city was I careful not to buy something too tall. So any lift kit is out of the question, I have about enough room to put on 17's from the 16's that are on it and no more or I will tear the roof off. I will get a good pic of the clearance soon, it's really amazing.

Anyway, I look forward to learning how to take care of the beast, and thanks for having me.

Stuart

Hey Stuart,

We responded to your other post with the pictures of the driveshaft.
    Give us a call for all your Duramax needs! 877-469-3629

Comment

Please login or register to post.

Working...
    X