Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello...and aging dilemna

Hi, just joined the site. Been stressing over an issue of age. I have a 2002 Silverado 4x4 crew shorty. 316,000 on the odometer and it looks like I`ll need my third set of injectors. Dilemna is if I just do the injectors, how much longer of a life does the rest of the motor have. I service it religiously...drive train also. Any thoughts that can help me make the decision to fix...or sell. They are not worth much on KBB....so sad.
    Thanks in advance

Originally posted by brent5059 View Post
    Hi, just joined the site. Been stressing over an issue of age. I have a 2002 Silverado 4x4 crew shorty. 316,000 on the odometer and it looks like I`ll need my third set of injectors. Dilemna is if I just do the injectors, how much longer of a life does the rest of the motor have. I service it religiously...drive train also. Any thoughts that can help me make the decision to fix...or sell. They are not worth much on KBB....so sad.
    Thanks in advance
    Welcome and thanks for joining Brent! The original injector design was definitely one of the downfalls for the LB7 engine. They also were not offered in a brand new unit, only re-manufactured up until about 2 years ago. Also as of a few months ago, S&S Diesel came out with a SAC style nozzle and stock flow on an LB7 injector named the "SAC00". The SAC style nozzle is used in 2004.5 and newer Duramax engines. Those engines did not have the common issues of the LB7 injector which used a VCO style nozzle. With the SAC style nozzle, the LB7 injector is now a much more reliable injector. The SAC00 injectors would be the best replacement available for the LB7 engine. As far as life expectancy, we've seen these trucks often with well over 500K miles on the original engine. Ones we have not seen in person have as much a 1 million miles. Since you service it regularly, there is no reason that truck shouldn't last for many more years to come. Replacing injectors is definitely a lot cheaper than a new truck and with KBB values not being worth so much, you will not get much if you try to sell it. It definitely is a tough decision between replacing the injectors or buying a newer truck. If you do plan on getting a newer truck, try to get a 2010 or older so you don't have to deal with the DEF system. Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Give us a call for all your Duramax needs! 877-469-3629

Comment

Austin, thanks for the great info. I ve made an appt with Kevin to get the new ones put in along with some other great suggestions to keep the "Mulie" on the road for a lot longer than I thought possible. Honesty plays such an important role in business these days and its a quality thats hard to find. Kevin was upfront with costs and why they were what they were. I like the thoroughness of his diagnosis of my trucks condition prior to bringing it in and look forward to a job well done by his team. Thanks for the push in the right direction. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by brent5059 View Post
        Austin, thanks for the great info. I ve made an appt with Kevin to get the new ones put in along with some other great suggestions to keep the "Mulie" on the road for a lot longer than I thought possible. Honesty plays such an important role in business these days and its a quality thats hard to find. Kevin was upfront with costs and why they were what they were. I like the thoroughness of his diagnosis of my trucks condition prior to bringing it in and look forward to a job well done by his team. Thanks for the push in the right direction. Much appreciated.
        Glad to hear we could help you out and thank you for the feedback!
        Give us a call for all your Duramax needs! 877-469-3629

Comment

Please login or register to post.

Working...
        X