Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Brake vs. Brake Upgrade

I want to increase the stopping power of my 2002, 2500 HD, 4X4, crew cab long bed with a 6.6 diesel. I tow a 36’ fifth wheel trailer that is in the range of 14K lbs.

I researched exhaust brakes as a source of increased stopping power. After weeks of research, on line forum opinions, and discussions with other diesel drivers I settled on a Pac Brake unit.

I inquired from several recommended diesel mechanic shops in my local area (North Central Florida) about an install price. Two of the three recommended mechanic shops in my area declined to do the work. They said they don’t want to be responsible to install such a complicated add on item. One of the recommended shops said “We’ll install it. We can probably do it for $300-400.”

I purchased the Pac Brake system and the 4” exhaust adapter. I delivered the products and my truck to the diesel shop. As the shop started the project they ran into some roadblocks. The mechanic called and said “do you know this unit has a compressor unit that needs to be installed to make it work?”

I have a Viair compressor and tank installed on the truck to allow me to air up my air bags. The mechanic thought it would be redundant to install an additional air compressor.

The next problem the shop discovered is that the Pac Brake unit needs to be plugged to the OBD2 information port. They called me and said “Your Banks Economind tuner is plugged into the OBD2 port so the Pac Brake unit won’t work in your application. You can’t plug both units into the same port”

I called Banks about the issue and they said “Well, that’s the problem with our competitor’s exhaust brakes. If you would have bought our unit, it doesn’t need to be plugged into the OBD2 port.” Too late for that.

I contacted Pac Brake and asked the same questions. They said “Well it’s easy, you just buy an OBD2 port splitter so you can plug both units into the same OBD2 port. Amazon sells one for about $10.”

I purchased the OBD2 splitter and had it sent to the mechanic shop. Meanwhile the mechanic, who previously worked at a Chevy dealership, called his mechanic friends about this issue and they told him “DON’T DO IT.”

They said that would be too much information trying to be passed through the one OBD2 port. You risk messing up the exhaust braking system and you don’t want to be responsible for braking problems.”

I asked the mechanic to call Banks and Pac Brake directly and ask them all the questions that he needed answers to. The mechanic told me “ Both Banks and Pac Brake were no confidence builder. They each say IT SHOULD WORK IN THEORY, but gave no guarantees.”

The mechanic called his friends at a custom diesel shop here in Florida. They do high level, high dollar diesel performance upgrades. They said “DON’T DO IT” for the same reasons. So at this point the mechanic and the shop owner are saying “NO” we won’t perform this add on.

So I sent back the splitter to Amazon and the exhaust brake to Pac Brake. I asked the mechanic “What would you do to increase braking ability?” His answer was to install a better braking system (rotors and calipers) rather than a complicated exhaust brake.

He suggested slotted rotors and bigger calipers with more pistons. A mechanic friend of mine in Shingle Springs sent me a link to your “Power Stop Series Brakes” and the “Wilwood Performance Brake” system.

So that’s where I’m at. The Pac Brake unit is a no-go. I still want to upgrade my braking system. Any suggestions on exhaust brakes vs. upgrading the brakes themselves would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by ratoutjian
    I want to increase the stopping power of my 2002, 2500 HD, 4X4, crew cab long bed with a 6.6 diesel. I tow a 36’ fifth wheel trailer that is in the range of 14K lbs.

I researched exhaust brakes as a source of increased stopping power. After weeks of research, on line forum opinions, and discussions with other diesel drivers I settled on a Pac Brake unit.

I inquired from several recommended diesel mechanic shops in my local area (North Central Florida) about an install price. Two of the three recommended mechanic shops in my area declined to do the work. They said they don’t want to be responsible to install such a complicated add on item. One of the recommended shops said “We’ll install it. We can probably do it for $300-400.”

I purchased the Pac Brake system and the 4” exhaust adapter. I delivered the products and my truck to the diesel shop. As the shop started the project they ran into some roadblocks. The mechanic called and said “do you know this unit has a compressor unit that needs to be installed to make it work?”

I have a Viair compressor and tank installed on the truck to allow me to air up my air bags. The mechanic thought it would be redundant to install an additional air compressor.

The next problem the shop discovered is that the Pac Brake unit needs to be plugged to the OBD2 information port. They called me and said “Your Banks Economind tuner is plugged into the OBD2 port so the Pac Brake unit won’t work in your application. You can’t plug both units into the same port”

I called Banks about the issue and they said “Well, that’s the problem with our competitor’s exhaust brakes. If you would have bought our unit, it doesn’t need to be plugged into the OBD2 port.” Too late for that.

I contacted Pac Brake and asked the same questions. They said “Well it’s easy, you just buy an OBD2 port splitter so you can plug both units into the same OBD2 port. Amazon sells one for about $10.”

I purchased the OBD2 splitter and had it sent to the mechanic shop. Meanwhile the mechanic, who previously worked at a Chevy dealership, called his mechanic friends about this issue and they told him “DON’T DO IT.”

They said that would be too much information trying to be passed through the one OBD2 port. You risk messing up the exhaust braking system and you don’t want to be responsible for braking problems.”

I asked the mechanic to call Banks and Pac Brake directly and ask them all the questions that he needed answers to. The mechanic told me “ Both Banks and Pac Brake were no confidence builder. They each say IT SHOULD WORK IN THEORY, but gave no guarantees.”

The mechanic called his friends at a custom diesel shop here in Florida. They do high level, high dollar diesel performance upgrades. They said “DON’T DO IT” for the same reasons. So at this point the mechanic and the shop owner are saying “NO” we won’t perform this add on.

So I sent back the splitter to Amazon and the exhaust brake to Pac Brake. I asked the mechanic “What would you do to increase braking ability?” His answer was to install a better braking system (rotors and calipers) rather than a complicated exhaust brake.

He suggested slotted rotors and bigger calipers with more pistons. A mechanic friend of mine in Shingle Springs sent me a link to your “Power Stop Series Brakes” and the “Wilwood Performance Brake” system.

So that’s where I’m at. The Pac Brake unit is a no-go. I still want to upgrade my braking system. Any suggestions on exhaust brakes vs. upgrading the brakes themselves would be greatly appreciated.
    Wow you've been around the horn on this one. We have a lot of experience with the available exhaust brakes and trying to split the OBD2 port. It is not a really good idea and can cause the converter to lock at a stop light. That will push you into and intersection. Not good.
    I currently run a BD mechanical exhaust brake on one of my trucks. It's does not require the use of the OBD port. I'm not sure if the unit for the 02 truck is the same. Bank's exhaust brake is decent but there are a couple of things I do t care for.
    2 questions.
    Are you set on keeping the Banks tuner? What size wheels do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the response. As far as the Banks tuner goes, I had not considered getting rid of it. I put it on 7 years ago the same time I had the cold air intake and 4" exhaust installed. That said, if it messes up the opportunity to put an exhaust brake on my truck then I would consider loosing it. I like the Banks Economind tuner because I can run it in position#1 around town for fuel economy, switch to position #3 for hauling and when not hauling I click it into position #6 just for passing slow vehicles. That's pretty much my use of the tuner. So 95% of the time, I'm in position #1 opting for fuel economy over performance.

I have had a couple of scary hard stop/brake fade situations while towing my 36' 5th wheel (usually on a long down hill grade). I've driven fire engines for 30 years and know the benefits of a Jake Brake system. I wanted that same stopping ability for my truck but the Banks / Pac Brake combo became a nightmare. I have the Banks to go fast and then want to stop fast. That's the dilemma. But I am open to any other combo. I would ditch the Banks if there was another tuner/brake combo that would work better for my truck.

As far as tire size, I am running LT265/75-R16 10 ply M/S tires.

Thanks for your time, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

I would recommend replacing the Banks tuner. The banks or similar tuners have a limited life because they use hard electronics that live in a hash environment.
        Ad an exhaust brake like BD or PAC. I really don't like the way the Banks brake works.
        The exhaust brake will help you slow you down from higher speeds to approx 20mph. Slower than that you are relying on your truck and trailer brakes. Because you have 16" wheels you are limited on pad and rotor options. However our D series pad / Rotor combo will certainly be and improvement. I would ad the Kryptonite products brake lines also. This will make a very big difference in braking performance. You can do it in steps also not all at once to be easier on the budget.

Last edited by DmaxStoreAustin; 03-28-2019, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Mike D,

Thanks for the information. Great input. I'll be putting together a plan in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by ratoutjian
            Mike D,

Thanks for the information. Great input. I'll be putting together a plan in the next couple of weeks.
            Sounds good. Let's us know if you need anything at all 👍

Comment

Please login or register to post.

Working...
            X