Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate firing order cam

Anyone with input on this would be appreciated. I'm going to do one since I broke my crank in September. I called to talk to Idaho Rob, but he was busy on the dyno and his staff would not pass my message on to have him call me back. Then someone else was going to call back and have not heard from him yet, that's only been four weeks ago, maybe longer.Kind of bummed on that, but oh well. Reason I wanted to talk to Rob was I know he's running one in his truck from Socal. Any loss of torque with this cam?

I would try calling Scott at SDP and see what he has to say. I know he builds motors at his shop, and would probably be able to help you out as much as possible.

Comment

hopefully our tech will chime in for you

Comment

Well thanks for your input on this hope to hear from him soon and I'll look into SDP to see if they've done any. It makes sense when you look at the stock firing order there is a lot going on in the front of the motor.

Comment

Dirtymax63

What is your ride going to be used for?
          We are currently doing a engine build and the truck will be a daily and a track truck. We are using Socal alt. Firing order 6480 cam shafts that will support 1000hp and tow and daily. Pistons will need to have valve reliefs due to the higher lift of the 7480 and the 9100 cam profile provides. The guys at ATP also felt this was a good choice for our build. Let me know what your plans are and I'll help steer ya in the right direction.

DMAXSTORE.COM
          2006 LBZ Daily Driver, Tractor, School Bus, Hot Rod Diesel , Crew Cab, Lifted, Hunting Rig , Cowboy Cadillac

Comment

It's both daily an race
            6480 didn't need piston valve relief was that correct? I'm looking at going to 1000plus and it is both daily and race right now. what about the torque with the alternating cam the same, more, less? If I end up having to take my heads off I will do 9100. I'm really looking to know if there is torque loss with the alt. cam?

Comment

The 6480 requires valve relief, we are running Fingers cast race oval bowl pistons with 75 tho. Relief. From what I understand the 9100 is drag/pull only not good for street or tow. I'd call Socal for exact info on their cams and dyno results.
              2006 LBZ Daily Driver, Tractor, School Bus, Hot Rod Diesel , Crew Cab, Lifted, Hunting Rig , Cowboy Cadillac

Comment

Well I'll ask them again. A few weeks ago they said it would be fine, and the tech I talked to said he was running a 9100 as a daily, but either way if get a dyno let me know how the torque was on that cam if you would please.

Comment

I'll see what I can come up with by beginning of next week. I'll email some contacts.

Comment

thanks for that. It'll be good to know what happens to it. Hopefully we get more and the crank issues is fewer.

Comment

So... the information that I have gotten is that the 9100af cam will move the HP &TORQUE to a higher rpm. Was not able to get any numbers due to the manufacturer not giving them out and the many engine combinations. They don't recommend the 9100 for D/D or tow but people do. You will also need the .075 in valve pockets in the pistons as well as a torque converter matched to the new power range. Was told some of the negative feed back on these higher profile cams is due to incorrect combinations. Should have some low end power loss.

Comment

Not worried about torque converter yet good for 1000 plus, but not sure I want to go much over 4500rpm yet. Sounds like I'll do a bit less on the cam. Also not sure but think fle-pro makes a new gasket .060 or .070?

Comment

Sorry and thanks for getting me that info very appreciated

Comment

Hey no problem. Good info for all.

Comment

Well her is another site to look at on the AF cam and some cool stuff as well.
                              Taking diesel engineering to the next level with the best quality parts & custom work. Dodge Cummins | GM Duramax | Ford Powerstroke Call 1-563-588-2708.

Comment

Please login or register to post.

Working...
                              X