Allison 1000 making some ruff shift when getting on it.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allison 1000 making some ruff shift when getting on it.

Hi so I have noticed my tranny shifting hard at times. Especially when I get on it. Mostly it is the 3rd gear.
    When I drive it slow like a grandpa it behaves and shifts like it should but still the random thump here and there.
    Is this a sign that she is quitting on me.
    How hard is it to rebuild the Allison?
    I do all the work on my truck but when it comes to transmissions I have only taken them out.
    Appreciate any help on this topic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Andremaxproblems
    Hi so I have noticed my tranny shifting hard at times. Especially when I get on it. Mostly it is the 3rd gear.
    When I drive it slow like a grandpa it behaves and shifts like it should but still the random thump here and there.
    Is this a sign that she is quitting on me.
    How hard is it to rebuild the Allison?
    I do all the work on my truck but when it comes to transmissions I have only taken them out.
    Appreciate any help on this topic.

What year is your truck and what mods do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2005 lly. Banks auto mind with cold air intake and banks exhaust.

Comment

About to block off the egr this week and get a rudy's diesel mouthpiece for the turbo. No major upgrades and I don't drive it hard. Get on it every once in a while getting angry at our awesome drivers here in CA

Comment

About to block off the egr this week and get a rudy's diesel mouthpiece for the turbo. No major upgrades and I don't drive it hard. Get on it every once in a while getting angry at our awesome drivers here in CA

So the trans is stock and that tuner is very mild. When is the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

Comment

I am running a cat filter and it has about 6000 miles on it now. I don't know how much this truck got abused before I got it. It never shifted great.
            I have put about 90k miles on this truck . It is running at 208k now . When I did my water pump and opened the little check plate on the bellhousing I noticed the color of the torque converter was a purple color I believe. Not sure if that is the stock converter. If not then they probably messed with it before I got the truck.
            I am scared to blow up the tranny so I am light on the pedal lately. Just want to get through this year with it if I can.

Comment

Well the tuner your running doesn't make enough power to damage an Allison. Chances are the previous owner had something more aggressive. It seems like you have an ATS or Precision converter if it's purple. Let's hope it's Precision.
              Change the Cat filter asap. They do not have much capacity for particulate storage. Shifting depends on demanded and delivered fuel pressure. So a plugged filter can definitely cause poor shifting.

Comment

Ok thanks Mike will do that asap.
                Want to say this was the color of the TC

Comment

Does that mean they had worked on it before?
                  Thanks for your info

Comment

Does that mean they had worked on it before?
                    Thanks for your info

Based on the info you have provided someone has been into the trans. Start with the simple stuff and put a fresh fuel filter in it.
                    Does the truck have a lift pump like AirDog or FASS?

Comment

No lift pump. Just the adapter to run the cat filter in place of the stock fuel filter

Comment

No lift pump. Just the adapter to run the cat filter in place of the stock fuel filter

Ok well changing that filter will be a good place to start. I would not go much more than 3500 miles before changing that filter.

Comment

Sounds good. Will let you know if I see a difference

Comment

Sounds good. Will let you know if I see a difference

I have noticed this trans is here and there when shifting. Lately I have noticed it shifts decent but I am running lower tunes. Also the turbo mouthpiece made it run better also. This transmission has never gone into limp mode which makes me wonder if the problem isn't in my Torque Converter. Wonder if I should do a transgo kit with a new Torque Converter.
                            Not really sure how these transmissions act when they go out. Guess it would limp itself if it was having real issues. Now the thing I want to know is how does a TC act when it is going out??

Comment

I have noticed this trans is here and there when shifting. Lately I have noticed it shifts decent but I am running lower tunes. Also the turbo mouthpiece made it run better also. This transmission has never gone into limp mode which makes me wonder if the problem isn't in my Torque Converter. Wonder if I should do a transgo kit with a new Torque Converter.
                              Not really sure how these transmissions act when they go out. Guess it would limp itself if it was having real issues. Now the thing I want to know is how does a TC act when it is going out??

Sorry for the late reply. We are just returning from SEMA. I think more diagnostic should be done before you go into the trans. What is the desired and actual fuel pressure when the strange shifting occurs?

Comment

Please login or register to post.

Working...
                              X