Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMax newbie

Hello all, New to the diesel world and just picked up this 08 DMax CCLB Dually 255K miles (TUNED, FASS EQIP., DELETED, STRAIGHT PIPED). So I've been hearing about broken cranks quit a bit, my question is, would a good performance harmonic balancer help in preventing this type of carnage or should I spring for a DMax performance crank? I'm not gonna lie, for the size of this truck I love the way it moves and maybe I'm a little hard on the skinny pedal. I primarily use this brute for Towing and I to travel long distances and would really hate to get stranded out. Again thanks for any feedback

Originally posted by 08Durtym@x View Post
    Hello all, New to the diesel world and just picked up this 08 DMax CCLB Dually 255K miles (TUNED, FASS EQIP., DELETED, STRAIGHT PIPED). So I've been hearing about broken cranks quit a bit, my question is, would a good performance harmonic balancer help in preventing this type of carnage or should I spring for a DMax performance crank? I'm not gonna lie, for the size of this truck I love the way it moves and maybe I'm a little hard on the skinny pedal. I primarily use this brute for Towing and I to travel long distances and would really hate to get stranded out. Again thanks for any feedback
    Welcome and thanks for joining. Nice truck! As far as harmonic balancers go, it will not prevent a crankshaft failure unfortunately. There have been failures on completely bone stock trucks, but the failures seem to be more common on tuned trucks. Then again, there are plenty of trucks on the road with higher mileage than yours with similar mods and have not had a failure. It's one of those things that you really cannot foresee happening. When we build a motor to help prevent crankshaft failure, we use a brand new crankshaft, alternate firing camshaft, and at least a main girdle.
    Give us a call for all your Duramax needs! 877-469-3629

Comment

Please login or register to post.

Working...
    X