Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shimmy at various speeds...

I can't be the only one out there with this problem. For the past 2.5 years, I have had a "shimmy" in my 2005 Sierra (2500 HD Qaudcab 4x4). In an attempt to solve this problem, I have replaced the tires (265/75/16), wheels, both left and right hubs, shocks, upper control arms, tie rods and have had at least 8 tire rotations/balances, with no success. Between 45 & 50 mph and 72 & 79 mph, my truck bounces, shakes violently and rides roughly until 51 mph and 80 mph respectively when it rides smoothly again. I am at a loss as to what else could be the problem. I had a leveling kit put on it 8 years ago, but am unsure if it could be the problem. I have been told that it may be the drive shaft, but after leaving two weeks at the dealership, it couldn't be confirmed. I am looking for help from anyone out with a similar problem and solution. Thanks!

Have you replaced idler and pitman arms? Or maybe steering box? how many miles are on the truck now?

Comment

Mike D. = No, the idler and pitman arms have not been replaced. I told two different places that I would pay, but each advised that they were didn't need replacement, even after 295,000 miles. And I also have not replaced the steering box either; which is something I will keep in mind too as well. Thanks for responding! I hope that I can find the answers to my problem!

Dukcaln@Dmaxstore = Very interesting! I feel it in the steering wheel and the floor. And honestly, as much time as I've spent in this truck with this problem, it doesn't feel like a front versus back issue. It feels like all four tires are out of round, but every tire service center tells me their fine. How did you or someone else determine that your problem was the rear transmission mount? Please help! And thanks for responding!

Comment

It is really hard to properly diagnose with out the truck here. However I would really consider freshening up all steering components with some quality replacements considering your mileage.

Comment

Thanks guys for responding! Believe me, I appreciate this as I have been fighting this for a very long time. After the rear transmission mount issue was brought up, I went to YouTube and was completely amazed at how many people suffer with this problem, no matter if it's a car, truck or van. Based on what I've learned from here and from what I saw on YouTube, I took my truck in today to the dealership where they will replace both engine mounts and rear transmission mount. $638.00. I am extremely excited to see if this finally solves the problem, because I want my truck back! I have taken such good care of it for the past eleven years that it still looks new, but it rides like a tractor! Hopefully that will go away soon! I'll keep you guys posted if this latest round of work is a success or not... Thanks again!

Comment

Please login or register to post.

Working...
          X