Fuel Filter Temporary workaround, did I screw up?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Filter Temporary workaround, did I screw up?

Cruising down I 44 last night, my fuel filter warning came on unexpectedly (I was over 90% life) and truck went into reduced power mode. I was not carrying an extra filter, so I thought to see if I could ​see if I could fool the sensor into thinking I had by disconnecting and reconnecting the sensor.. As luck would have it, working in the dark with no tools, I accidentally pulled the plug off the engine side wires leaving just the ends. After attempting several times to get them back into the plug, I opted to just tape the ends together to establish a circuit and lo and behold the truck ran and I got my stuff done in Tulsa and made it home. My question. Until I can get a new plug wired in, am I doing any damage to the electronics with the electrodes taped together? Truck is 08 Duramax 3500 crew dually. Also, since my filter is almost new, do I need to change it? Thanks for any advice.

I got rid of that p.o.s. plastic wif sensor and got a billet plug. I would put on a new fuel filter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

The wires on the bottom of the WIF sensor are not needed so plugging it like 830 said is a good idea. However that doesn't explain the reduced power. You should have gotten a DTC code. Can you scan it and post up what the code is? I'm assuming there is something else going on with the fuel system.

Comment

These wires were the ones that go to the top of the fuel filter mount. I already plugged the bottom of the filter. I don't have a code reader unfortunately. Truck is till running today. I'll put on another filter. pics are of plug and wires I messed up.

Comment

that is just the heater element. not needed and does nothing. newer models do not have that. tie it off to the side or leave it disconnected will not hurt anything. You may have another underlying issue. Have you replaced the filter yet?

Comment

I have not. I will do so tonight. Hate to waste an almost new filter but understand it's important to know if something else is in play. Appreciate you guys help and will update if it goes down again.

Comment

It might be collapsing fuel lines too.
              07 LBZ Built Transmission by Inglewood Transmission

Comment

On your LMM that message will display if fuel rail pressure is lower than desired under load. This can be caused be a restricted fuel filter, restriction in the fuel feed lines, low injection pump output, high return rate in fuel injectors, most likely fuel filter or leaking filter housing.
                2006 LBZ Daily Driver, Tractor, School Bus, Hot Rod Diesel , Crew Cab, Lifted, Hunting Rig , Cowboy Cadillac

Comment

Please login or register to post.

Working...
                X