Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need another opinion.

I have a 2001 lb7. The other day I got a call from my dad his truck blew up in California on his way to work he had his travel trailer on the back. So I headed down there with a flat bed trailer got there just fine loaded his truck up put it in storage then went to get his trailer to take him to work. After about 200 Miles my truck was spitting coolent out of the overflow tank then the low coolent light would come on so we filled it and it happened agine went on like 5 times well finally got him to were he needed to be. The next day I left for home witch was about 1300 Miles. On the way home truck never lost coolent or spit it out. Seems to only happen under load. Im leaning twordes head gasket but why would it only do it while pulling. Any opinions?

Page 1 of 1

Casey what year is your truck? The symptoms you are describing would lead me to believe your experiencing head gasket failure. The head gaskets begin to leak as cylinder pressure increases when towing.

Comment

It's a 2001

Comment

Head gasket. Where in California are yall?

Comment

Well I was in San bernardino but I drove the truck home witch was 1300 miles without any issues unloaded.

Comment

Casey, any other update, loss of coolant and or the simple test would be to let the truck sit over night, in the morning pop the hood (do not start the truck, let it sit over night and be cold) and grab the upper radiator hose. Squeeze it and if its hard like a tennis ball, then odds are the system is still pressurized and you 97% have a HG failure.

Do you know what your coolant temp was and or trans temp? Do you have a greyish/brown ring around the inside of your reservoir tank?

Comment

Nothing inside reservor. Engeine temp was 170-190 when it was happening never over heated, I did the over night thing and it wasn't hard but it wasn't soft kinda in the middle. Only time it lost coolent was when I had the trailer on the truck unloaded drove home 1300 miles still driving it no lose of coolent.

Comment

Originally posted by casey View Post
                Nothing inside reservor. Engeine temp was 170-190 when it was happening never over heated, I did the over night thing and it wasn't hard but it wasn't soft kinda in the middle. Only time it lost coolent was when I had the trailer on the truck unloaded drove home 1300 miles still driving it no lose of coolent.
                So if its an 01 LB7 when were the injectors replaced last? We do not see as many head gasket failures on the LB7 but injector cups can leak causing the symptom's you are describing. Are you experiencing any type of slow start or hard cranking after the truck sits?

Comment

2-3 cranks to start everytime. Not really hard start and if the sleeves leaked wouldn't that mix oil and coolent. Umm the truck was taken to the shop during the recall not sure if they did all the injectors or just a couple. I have the edge cts2 evo and my injector balance rates are all good besides one gets a little out of Wack but dosent go over +-4 in park.

Comment

Balance rates are for checking the average fuel flow rate in each injector and not always a tell tell sign of a bad injector. A return rate test will be more accurate and will measure the amount of fuel each injector returns to the tank during cranking cycles. The return rate test will tell you how healthy your injectors are and will tell you if the by pass valves are sealing and if the ball seats are worn or not. From what you have going on, more than one test will need to be done to pin point your issue most likely. Small detail, might not be the issue but what shape is your reservoir tank cap in?

Comment

The cap is new bought one once all this happened to see if it was that and it wasn't. Can my edge cts2 do the return rate test? If not I might have to take it to a dealer and have it done.

Comment

Please login or register to post.

Working...
                      X