Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger Trans Cooler

Will I'll put in my point of view on keeping your trans cooler. Racing with the stock cooler temps were on the average of 210-228. Which isn't bad along as you change your fluid sooner, temps kill your tranny oil. Anyway I put a, I hate to say it, but a 6.0 trans cooler on. Had to do a little mod to my lines, but that makes a big difference in temps. I put a deep pan on and only saw 10 degree drop, Biggest drop in temp came from the bigger cooler about 50 degrees. Built trans runs hotter anyways. used to be around 170-189 now runs about 134-143 in 100 degree temps and racing 168-179 way better. So racing towing or just daily bigger cooler is the ticket. Now winter time it takes a few miles to get to 87 to go into 5th lockup. but runs about 103-110. And I run Royal Purple and change external filter before every race or every 7500 miles filters are cheap insurance.

I need a bigger cooler. Jason did a cooler mod to his fatherinlaws and put a fan on it with a switch, to turn in on and off.

Comment

Originally posted by 8aford97@gmail.com View Post
      I need a bigger cooler. Jason did a cooler mod to his fatherinlaws and put a fan on it with a switch, to turn in on and off.
      I will post up pics of the fan mod on my father inlaws stock LLY cooler and the pics of my cooler I put on my LLY for you guys

Comment

Originally posted by Dukcaln@Dmaxstore View Post

I will post up pics of the fan mod on my father inlaws stock LLY cooler and the pics of my cooler I put on my LLY for you guys
        Sounds good jason

Comment

here is the pic of the cooler I put on my LLY. I had to male brackets for mounting and that was easy and drill a hole in the framing for the stack but other than that it was an easy swap.

I did see right at 20 degrees drop with temps while she is moving air. In stop and go traffic it was similar temps to the stocker since there is no air flow. It recovers quicker and stays cooler under prolong abuse too, Lol

Plans are to add a fan with this set up

Click image for larger version

Name:	llycooler.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	607

Name:	llycooler1.JPG
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	608

Name:	llycooler2.JPG
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	609

Name:	llycooler3.JPG
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	610

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Here is the video of the taurus fan i added to my father in laws LLY Stock cooler. Let me tell you this thing pushes some serious cfm's of air and he see's a 15 degree drop in temps and when he is at idle and or slow crawls towing his massive 5th wheel this fan keeps the trans temps down.

I think for track days this will be great cooling the trans off in between passes

Comment

It looks like it moves some air. I also bring with me a cooler with ice and a garden sprayer, fill it with ice then water and spray it down while it's idling to cool turbos down. I spray the intercooler as well. I don't shut down until EGT's are 350 degrees or less.

Comment

Well for now this is the best pic I can give since everything is torn out right now. 26 rows

Comment

summer is here, 102 yesterday in the stop and go traffic, my upgraded trans cooler did its job keeping the temps below 200 @ 198 in 15 miles of 0-4mph crawl with AC blowing. Once back up to 65-70mph the trans temps cooled to 175. Pretty darn good for the temps outside. Well worth the expense to upgrade the cooler.

Comment

Please login or register to post.

Working...
                    X